Safe and Well
After about 36 hours of traveling (3 aiplanes and 1 bus), we arrived safely in Belo this morning. Despite a 3-hour nap that was intended to be 1 hour, we are managing to keep ourselves awake until tonight (a painful and necessary part of recovering from jet-lag).
The sounds and smells and colors of Cameroon have triggered many thoughts and feelings within Baine and me both. As soon as we stepped off the plane into the airport, we looked at each other simultaneously - wide-eyed and overcome with feelings of nostalgia, fear, anxiety, joy, excitement... But more than anything, I could feel myself glowing. Despite the many difficulties of living in Cameroon (which will become apart of my immediate reality all too soon!), I love this country and feel so blessed to be here.
We have been received with much love, care, and enthusiasm from our friends here. My friend/Cameroonian mother Anna screamed when she saw me, ran to me, embraced me, lifted me, and started spinning me in a circle as though I was only 5 years old! It was hilarious and a gift to be received with such joy. All of that to say that, in the midst of many questions about who I am and why I am here, I can say that I am very glad to be here right now. In many ways, it feels as though we never left.
The sounds and smells and colors of Cameroon have triggered many thoughts and feelings within Baine and me both. As soon as we stepped off the plane into the airport, we looked at each other simultaneously - wide-eyed and overcome with feelings of nostalgia, fear, anxiety, joy, excitement... But more than anything, I could feel myself glowing. Despite the many difficulties of living in Cameroon (which will become apart of my immediate reality all too soon!), I love this country and feel so blessed to be here.
We have been received with much love, care, and enthusiasm from our friends here. My friend/Cameroonian mother Anna screamed when she saw me, ran to me, embraced me, lifted me, and started spinning me in a circle as though I was only 5 years old! It was hilarious and a gift to be received with such joy. All of that to say that, in the midst of many questions about who I am and why I am here, I can say that I am very glad to be here right now. In many ways, it feels as though we never left.
i'm glad you both made it safe and sound! what a great welcome from all of your friends in cameroon. i'll be praying for you!
ReplyDeletedee
I'm so excited about this journey you're about to take. I love the pictures on your blog and am already eager to hear more. We'll be praying.
ReplyDeletewoohoo! Glad to hear you made it safely! as others have shared, you're in our prayers! Look forward to reading more!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the updates. I am glad to hear you made it safely and hope you have a wonderful time (i know you will). I am so happy for the both of you!
ReplyDeleteI will be praying for you guys.
ReplyDeleteWe are so glad to hear you are safe! We love being able to hear about the trip on the blog. Thank you for sharing yourselves with all of us.
ReplyDeleteGlad you guys made it. Though I am desperately jealous of your trip, I do not miss those bus rides. Tell "Jester" hello for me and give everyone (especially Gracie) a big hug for me.
ReplyDeletewow! you're actually there!!! i love the pictures...and can't wait for more updates!
ReplyDeletedo you have a picture of anna? i'd love to see her!
I can really picture you being lifted up and spun around! That is so wonderful. Soak it all up!
ReplyDelete