TIA
TIA is an acronym that brings mild comfort to we minority worldians (i.e., “developed” worldians) attempting to live with relative sanity in the majority world (i.e., “developing” world) continent of Africa. When the electricity or water (or both) go out for days for no apparent reason, when it can take a whole day to have 1 meeting, or when we are convinced that the stomach pains, indescribable nausea, aching, feverish muscles, and an ungodly number of trips to the toilet in one night (as it did 2 nights ago for Baine and me) will, in fact, be the last of our days on earth – we can only repeat the phrase TIA (This Is Africa).
When my minority world brain is demanding an explanation and a “right” to live with as much happiness, freedom, and comfort as possible, the cold, unrelenting, consistent response is TIA. It is only after numerous repetitions of this phrase that I can begin to except my fate of illness and discomfort and find relative solace in the shared experience of my poor husband who was also lying in the fetal position and managing to follow me into the bathroom to gently rub my back and bring water and a cold rag for me while my head hung over the toilet at 1 am – so romantic.
Despite such a night and the lingering nausea and stomach pains of the next day, we managed to drag ourselves to the waste pit digging and celebration yesterday morning. Several weeks of research and educating Kom people about the dangers of plastic and the importance of returning to traditional ways (e.g., using hand-woven, natural baskets instead of plastic bags) came to a climax at this morning’s celebration. I was relieved that the colors and sounds of Cameroon were beautiful even in the midst of illness. Here are some pictures from the day:
TRADITIONAL DANCERS:

THE WASTE PIT:


PLANTING VETIVER GRASS AROUND THE WASTE PIT (to contain the plastic and protect the land around the pit):
EDUCATING THE PUBLIC:
And, yes, despite illness, THE DRESS made an official appearance:
(from the back…)
(from the front - with a bit of a sick face)
Guess who else decided to participate in the fun of traditional attire…
Check out his SICK FACE:
AND THEN A LITTLE MORE EFFORT:
BEHOLD THE GLORY AND AWESOMENESS of this matching pair. (You’ll NEVER see such a display from us in the USA. Don’t even ask.)
I’m very proud to say that, as of today, we’ve been married for 4 years. And I’m even happier that we are diarrhea-free thus far on this anniversary in Cameroon. :)
When my minority world brain is demanding an explanation and a “right” to live with as much happiness, freedom, and comfort as possible, the cold, unrelenting, consistent response is TIA. It is only after numerous repetitions of this phrase that I can begin to except my fate of illness and discomfort and find relative solace in the shared experience of my poor husband who was also lying in the fetal position and managing to follow me into the bathroom to gently rub my back and bring water and a cold rag for me while my head hung over the toilet at 1 am – so romantic.
Despite such a night and the lingering nausea and stomach pains of the next day, we managed to drag ourselves to the waste pit digging and celebration yesterday morning. Several weeks of research and educating Kom people about the dangers of plastic and the importance of returning to traditional ways (e.g., using hand-woven, natural baskets instead of plastic bags) came to a climax at this morning’s celebration. I was relieved that the colors and sounds of Cameroon were beautiful even in the midst of illness. Here are some pictures from the day:
TRADITIONAL DANCERS:

THE WASTE PIT:
THE SIGNS:

PLANTING VETIVER GRASS AROUND THE WASTE PIT (to contain the plastic and protect the land around the pit):
EDUCATING THE PUBLIC:
And, yes, despite illness, THE DRESS made an official appearance:(from the back…)
(from the front - with a bit of a sick face)
Guess who else decided to participate in the fun of traditional attire…Check out his SICK FACE:
AND THEN A LITTLE MORE EFFORT:
BEHOLD THE GLORY AND AWESOMENESS of this matching pair. (You’ll NEVER see such a display from us in the USA. Don’t even ask.)
I’m very proud to say that, as of today, we’ve been married for 4 years. And I’m even happier that we are diarrhea-free thus far on this anniversary in Cameroon. :)
Happy Anniversary!
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary! I love the dress. I hope you continue to be diarrhea-free today. Blessings to you both! (from Cody too)
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary! The pictures are great! Great job on the waste management project. It's very exciting! I hope you both start feeling better, too!
ReplyDeleteLaurie, I had forgotten that today was your anniversary! Wow! This will definitely be one to remember. I'm also proud that you and Baine have been married 4 years.
ReplyDeleteDespite it all, you have been looking good in your pictures, like you have gained a little weight somehow. The dress looks great on you. It's okay for you and Baine to match on such occasions.
I have a Senagalese teacher next door to me at Piney Woods teaching English lit, mythology, and French. I will have some Cameroonian students this year also. Be sure to think of connections I can make with them.
Happy Anniversary!---Mama
congrats you two :D i thought about you at least twice before i read the entry, it must have been in the air.
ReplyDeleteDespite your refusal to do so, you know y'all are going to have to bring those clothes to show your family next time we see you! I'm proud of Baine for wearing it too!
ReplyDelete