debates

The Presidential debates are here, and I'm loving it. I think it's the first time that I've really watched the debates in my adult life. I was 19 years old when George W. Bush was elected the first time, and I - as many 19 year olds - knew nothing about politics. I just voted for who my parents, pastors, teachers, etc. were voting for.

I was 23 when George W. Bush was elected the 2nd time, and I couldn't have been more overwhelmed and confused by politics than I was at that time. Between 19 and 23, I was trying to figure the world out and find some relative understanding of who I was. Thus, because I was so overwhelmed, I just checked out of the political arena and chose not to vote.

Given that I'm no longer a naive 19-year-old or an overwhelmed 23-year-old, it is exciting to have, in some sense, found my voice in terms of my political views. Of course, these are not (and I hope they never will be) static views. But they are views that I can more confidently call my own and am, thus, more free to be excited about them and to question them.

So... on with the debates and the elections! I imagine that I'll be in a completely different place by the next election, so I want to savor my enthusiasm while it's here.

Comments

  1. It's definitely a lively and interesting race! By the way, have y'all seen Tina Fey as Sarah Palin? If you haven't, you MUST check in out on SNL's website. So hilarious and so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree... this is exciting time in politics. the last few elections i've really watched closely. this one i've found myself so drawn to and empowered by-- it's been amazing. in fact, we talk about it so often that even isabelle hasn't gotten into the lingo. i don't know where she picked it up but she told frank she was gonna tell him a story and she said and i quote, 'once upon a time there was a man named john mccain and he changed his story'. i have no idea where that came from?! but i laughed a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts