Why Now?
Despite, my enthusiasm about the current presidential race, I’ve become particularly frustrated with the way in which our culture seems to be engaging a lot of political issues. Maybe it’s just my particular network of friends and family, but I don’t quite understand why we WAIT until the heat of an election to really talk about our politics. That seems like the WORST possible time to talk about it, because it’s MUCH harder to really hear and consider each other’s views when there’s a constant defensive undertone of which candidate we want to see elected. In this context, we cannot hear each other with nearly the amount of kindness and openness that is necessary for such important conversations.
Why do we (republicans, democrats, independents) not discuss individual, political topics – taxes, health care, abortion, war, etc. – until we’re in the middle of a heated election? Is it because, in the absence of a candidate to defend or attack, we might actually have to take ownership of our own beliefs and engage in an actual conversation with someone who holds a different view? Who/what are we afraid of in that? Are we afraid of the other person and their views or are we afraid of ourselves and what we might feel or say in such a conversation?
Personally, I know that I’m afraid of both myself and the other. Engaging and being open to someone or something that is different from me is always difficult and, thus, raises my defenses. But how much more whole of a person would I be – would our families, churches, society, government be – if I/we had the courage to listen to others and ourselves with kindness, openness, empathy. OH MY GOSH – where is empathy when we encounter difference?!
Thus, in my opinion, it seems like the most likely time for us to be capable of kindness, openness, and empathy in political conversations is NOT in the middle of a heated presidential election. Don’t get me wrong; I think it’s fine, and even good, to talk about politics now. But I think we need to mindful, patient, and wise about the context of these conversations if we actually want to hear each other. If, however, our motive (as mine is all too often) in conversation is merely to insist how right I am (which is often and arrogantly done by pulling the “God’s will” card) and how much you need to agree with me, I need to get my butt out of the conversation and pray for some humility, kindness, and EMPATHY for the other.
When this election is over, I hope that we will not wait 4 more years but continue to discuss our different ideas and beliefs but with
greater courage
greater humility
greater kindness
greater empathy
greater honesty
greater compassion
greater love.
Why do we (republicans, democrats, independents) not discuss individual, political topics – taxes, health care, abortion, war, etc. – until we’re in the middle of a heated election? Is it because, in the absence of a candidate to defend or attack, we might actually have to take ownership of our own beliefs and engage in an actual conversation with someone who holds a different view? Who/what are we afraid of in that? Are we afraid of the other person and their views or are we afraid of ourselves and what we might feel or say in such a conversation?
Personally, I know that I’m afraid of both myself and the other. Engaging and being open to someone or something that is different from me is always difficult and, thus, raises my defenses. But how much more whole of a person would I be – would our families, churches, society, government be – if I/we had the courage to listen to others and ourselves with kindness, openness, empathy. OH MY GOSH – where is empathy when we encounter difference?!
Thus, in my opinion, it seems like the most likely time for us to be capable of kindness, openness, and empathy in political conversations is NOT in the middle of a heated presidential election. Don’t get me wrong; I think it’s fine, and even good, to talk about politics now. But I think we need to mindful, patient, and wise about the context of these conversations if we actually want to hear each other. If, however, our motive (as mine is all too often) in conversation is merely to insist how right I am (which is often and arrogantly done by pulling the “God’s will” card) and how much you need to agree with me, I need to get my butt out of the conversation and pray for some humility, kindness, and EMPATHY for the other.
When this election is over, I hope that we will not wait 4 more years but continue to discuss our different ideas and beliefs but with
greater courage
greater humility
greater kindness
greater empathy
greater honesty
greater compassion
greater love.
It is my favorite thing to read your blog in spurts and get a few in a row. And I couldn't agree more. I feel like I am so frustrated by the election and that we don't make issues the focus outside of campaign time, that we don't do more and talk less. I start to feel like there is just so much noise right now...and that the calming shhing I need.
ReplyDelete