The Divine Image
If you haven't already picked up on this in previous posts, I've been in a very long journey of trying to understand the imago Dei - what it means to be made in the image of God, who bears God's image, how does brokenness/violence/sin affect humanity having been created in God's image, etc.? Given that this has become such an important issue in my mind, I'm going to do a lot of research in the fall term and write a mini-thesis on this topic. I imagine that I'll be sharing some pieces with you of what I'm thinking and learning along the way. So, to begin this journey, I wanted to share a poem with you.
I'm not particularly fond of the word 'pity' in this poem, nor do I ever find it justifiable to use the masculine pronoun in reference to humanity (not to mention the exclusive use of masculine pronouns for God.) And then there's the "turk or jew" comment which must be understood in the context in which it was written. Regardless, I still like the following poem. I just change the word pity to compassion in my mind (which might reflect the author's intent anyway) and yoga-breathe my way through the masculine pronouns.
"The Divine Image"
To Mercy, Pity, Peace and Love
All pray in their distress;
And to these virtues of delight
Return their thankfulness.
For Mercy, Pity, Peace and Love
Is God, our father dear,
And Mercy, Pity, Peace and Love
Is Man, his child and care.
For Mercy has a human heart,
Pity, a human face,
And Love, the human form divine,
And Peace, the human dress.
Then every man of every clime
That prays in his distress,
Prays to the human form divine:
Love, Mercy, Pity, Peace.
And all must love the human form
In heathen, turk or jew.
Where Mercy, Love, and Pity dwell
There God is dwelling too.
by William Blake (1757-1857)
I'm not particularly fond of the word 'pity' in this poem, nor do I ever find it justifiable to use the masculine pronoun in reference to humanity (not to mention the exclusive use of masculine pronouns for God.) And then there's the "turk or jew" comment which must be understood in the context in which it was written. Regardless, I still like the following poem. I just change the word pity to compassion in my mind (which might reflect the author's intent anyway) and yoga-breathe my way through the masculine pronouns.
"The Divine Image"
To Mercy, Pity, Peace and Love
All pray in their distress;
And to these virtues of delight
Return their thankfulness.
For Mercy, Pity, Peace and Love
Is God, our father dear,
And Mercy, Pity, Peace and Love
Is Man, his child and care.
For Mercy has a human heart,
Pity, a human face,
And Love, the human form divine,
And Peace, the human dress.
Then every man of every clime
That prays in his distress,
Prays to the human form divine:
Love, Mercy, Pity, Peace.
And all must love the human form
In heathen, turk or jew.
Where Mercy, Love, and Pity dwell
There God is dwelling too.
by William Blake (1757-1857)
Comments
Post a Comment