Cameroon again!

I will be leaving in a week and a half to spend another 5 weeks in Cameroon and continue my work with BERUDEP (www.berudep.org). As always, I plan to evaluate the programs (e.g., after-school program for at-risk children, women’s literacy classes, widows’ support groups) that I helped BERUDEP establish in 05/06 and provide ongoing training and support for those programs.

Also, I plan to do a bit of informal research this year as a means of discerning and preparing for some more therapeutically-oriented work with the Kom people. I would particularly appreciate your thoughts and prayers as I attempt to develop a cross-cultural understanding of the mental and emotional needs of Kom people. This work will require much humility, patience, courage, and wisdom of me.

I also ask for your thoughts and prayers in regards to my physical and emotional well-being. In many ways, I can feel myself come alive when I am in Cameroon, but it is also one of the most lonely and isolating experiences I've had. And I'm sure most of you have caught at least a glimpse or 2 of the physical ailments I've experienced in Cameroon on previous trips! So... many prayers for my physical and emotional health are greatly appreciated.

I invite you to follow the updates and stories that I will post here during my trip. If you read the stories while I was in Cameroon last year, you'll know that you're likely to be, at least, mildly entertained by all the drama but hopefully inspired, encouraged, and challenged as well. :)

[p.s. As always, I'm in need of financial support for my work in Cameroon. If you’re interested in and able to contribute financially, let me know, and I'll send you the information on how you can donate.]

Comments

Popular Posts