cows

I walked alone in the pitch black and pouring rain (with a flashlight and umbrella) to and from a friend's house in the middle of nowhere last night. Despite the fact that I was completely safe, my imagination still went completely wild during the walk. And although I'm quite proud of having faced such fears (i.e., walking alone in the dark), I don't plan on doing it again unless it's absolutely necessary.

The biggest highlight of the walk happened as I entered my first bout of complete darkness. All I could see was the bit of road in front of me, and all I could hear was rain and a faint bit of music in the far distance. Suddenly, a car was coming head-on in my direction. Although I couldn't see its headlights directly, they illuminated a silhouette of hundreds of large horns. Within seconds, I realized that I was face to face, less than 10 feet away, from a herd of cattle.

I quickly scooted off the side of the road, hoping that the herd would pass me without notice of my presence. But immediately after moving, a large group of the cows closest to me - with their large horns raised high and eyes glowing in the reflection of my flashlight - turned and began walking off the road and directly toward me. At this point, they were less than 5 feet from me, and I began to wonder if my life would soon end by an attack of cows in the night on a road in rural Cameroon.

However, I soon began to hiss, shew, and stomp toward the cows, and thank God, they moved in the opposite direction. In hindsite, I wasn't really in much danger. Despite their impressive horns, fiery eyes, and massive size, the cows here are quite submissive to humans. But I still think I'm done walking by myself in the night.

Comments

Popular Posts