top 11
As part of my celebration of the past few weeks and grief about leaving...
The top 11 reasons I come to Cameroon every year:
11. MANGOES and fresh produce in general.
Unfortunately, I came too late in the season this year and only ate a couple of mangoes. Might have to adjust my travel time around mango season next year. :)
10. Plush, green rolling hills/ mountains (in rainy season, that is).

9. The general enthusiasm and animation (i.e., lack of inhibition) in the Cameroonian way of communicating.
8. The gentle, natural relationship that Cameroonians have with time.
(This actually drives me crazy in extremes but a huge relief from the American obsession with productivity and efficiency. In contrast to the American "time = money," I'd describe the Cameroonian way as "time = relationships/people")
7. Communal identity and way of being.
This also drives me crazy in extremes but quite a relief from the American extreme of individualism/isolation.
6. Simplicity of lifestyle
Almost everything is made from scratch and by hand. Much solidarity, spirituality, connectedness in this. This way of being facilitates much deeper intimacy for me with God, myself, and all of creation.
5. The faces of the women and children who participate in the programs that I helped BERUDEP start.

4. BERUDEP and its founder/director Pa Simon.
A beautiful organization led by wise, compassionate, giving people. It is a huge gift to continually be welcomed into and cared for by the core BERUDEP family.
3. Women's Crafting Group
comprised of hours of crafting, singing, eating, and tons of laughter.


2. The invaluable friendship of the Mawoh Family: Adeline, Godwin, Grace, and baby Chia.
(See previous post "Adeline" for more about this story)

1. Anna
the BERUDEP staff person with whom I work most closely. In addition to being a brilliant and extremely responsible, dedicated, compassionate program director, she is my Cameroonian mother. For example, she has already promised and begun planning to celebrate my "born home" (traditional Cameroonian celebration for newborns and mothers) for when I return to Cameroon with my first baby - hilarious and so exciting. (side note: I'm not pregnant, which is kind of a miracle since almost every Cameroonian woman I know has been praying for God to open my womb since 2005.)


My gratitude is great, and thus my grief in leaving is also great. Much has been gained, and much will be lost when I leave on Monday.
The top 11 reasons I come to Cameroon every year:
11. MANGOES and fresh produce in general.
Unfortunately, I came too late in the season this year and only ate a couple of mangoes. Might have to adjust my travel time around mango season next year. :)
10. Plush, green rolling hills/ mountains (in rainy season, that is).

9. The general enthusiasm and animation (i.e., lack of inhibition) in the Cameroonian way of communicating.
8. The gentle, natural relationship that Cameroonians have with time.
(This actually drives me crazy in extremes but a huge relief from the American obsession with productivity and efficiency. In contrast to the American "time = money," I'd describe the Cameroonian way as "time = relationships/people")
7. Communal identity and way of being.
This also drives me crazy in extremes but quite a relief from the American extreme of individualism/isolation.
6. Simplicity of lifestyle
Almost everything is made from scratch and by hand. Much solidarity, spirituality, connectedness in this. This way of being facilitates much deeper intimacy for me with God, myself, and all of creation.
5. The faces of the women and children who participate in the programs that I helped BERUDEP start.

4. BERUDEP and its founder/director Pa Simon.
A beautiful organization led by wise, compassionate, giving people. It is a huge gift to continually be welcomed into and cared for by the core BERUDEP family.
3. Women's Crafting Group
comprised of hours of crafting, singing, eating, and tons of laughter.


2. The invaluable friendship of the Mawoh Family: Adeline, Godwin, Grace, and baby Chia.
(See previous post "Adeline" for more about this story)

1. Anna
the BERUDEP staff person with whom I work most closely. In addition to being a brilliant and extremely responsible, dedicated, compassionate program director, she is my Cameroonian mother. For example, she has already promised and begun planning to celebrate my "born home" (traditional Cameroonian celebration for newborns and mothers) for when I return to Cameroon with my first baby - hilarious and so exciting. (side note: I'm not pregnant, which is kind of a miracle since almost every Cameroonian woman I know has been praying for God to open my womb since 2005.)


My gratitude is great, and thus my grief in leaving is also great. Much has been gained, and much will be lost when I leave on Monday.
I would love to be a part of #3, in particular. :)
ReplyDeleteLaurie,
ReplyDeleteThis all sounds so great! I'm so happy for your time with Anna, especially. I hope the next couple of days are GREAT for you as you say goodbye.
Be safe coming home!
Every Cameroonian, and many others have been praying for your womb :)
ReplyDeleteWe miss you and are always thrilled that you can return and see the and participate in the lives you have supported, and more that they can participate in yours.
Welcome home.
Thank you so much for allowing us (your friends and avid readers) to experience Cameroon through your eyes and experience. What an honor it has been once again!
ReplyDeleteShauna