on growing up

Caveat: For those of you who err on the side of being sadistic, narcissistic, risk-averse, or stereotypically “male” in your relational style, you might benefit more from a slightly different angle on this topic – and many other topics on this blog, actually. This is written from my personal experience as a person who errs on the side of being masochistic, borderline, risk-prone, and stereotypically “female” in my relational style. If you don’t know what the heck I’m talking about, either ask or disregard this part. :)

Over the course of the past 2 months, I have bought a house, replaced the adventurous Jeep Wrangler with a safe, family-friendly, Volvo station wagon, and started a “real job” as a psychotherapist. I have begun crossing the threshold into what our culture defines as “adulthood,” and I am scared.

My dilemma as I take on these new responsibilities is that I believe that we (in American culture) overrate the value of and define ourselves entirely too much by these “marks of adulthood.” Part of the reason I haven’t made these choices earlier in my life is because my personal values and desires don’t necessarily fit into what feels like the sterile, generic, lifeless box of a house, car, career with benefits, and 2.5 children. Ugh – that depresses me actually.

But here I am – pursuing a master’s level career, a family-friendly car, a house, and possibly 2.5 children, and I can’t help but wonder if I’ve sold out. Am I turning away from open, adventurous exploration of myself and the world and putting myself in a sterile, generic, lifeless box?

Let me explain my fear a little bit more. Some common explicit and implicit messages that our culture claims as inevitable truth about “growing up”:

Marriage = bondage, rules, obligations (ball and chain)
Marriage = the end of your social life
Marriage = the end of passion, creativity, sex, intimacy
Career = money
Career = the end of playing/ having fun
Children = the end of traveling
Children = the end of your personal interests, passions, dreams, pursuits
Children = the end of what little scraps of passion, creativity, sex, and intimacy you managed to salvage after the trauma of marriage.
Children = the end of marriage
Children = the end of your life as you know it

Are you kidding me?! No wonder I have felt hesitant and fearful of entering any of these phases of “adulthood.”

Granted, I don’t want to miss the wisdom that underlies these depressing, hopeless, and all-too-often-unnecessarily-true messages… There are huge risks and significant sacrifice that are necessary to maintain a healthy, godly, life-giving marriage, career, and having children. But I don’t believe for 1 second that many of the values, passions, pleasures, relationships that are sacrificed are necessary or good.

The moment that my marriage, career, and children become more life-sucking than life-giving to me, I know something is wrong. Even more than my own suffering, how can they (my family) possibly benefit from my self-sacrificial misery? And how can I truly give to them when I am so deeply depleted?

Of course, there will always be moments, days, months, and maybe even years when the life-sucking feeling might dominate the life-giving feeling. But I refuse (for the sake of myself and every other person in my life) to accept the life-sucking possibility of marriage, career, and children as the “inevitable reality” to which I must resign. I hope and pray that I’ll always find the strength and faith to fight for life-giving goodness, beauty, and pleasure in every area of my life and relationships.

Comments

  1. Laurie,

    I can't agree more. thanks for this.

    kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I would never describe my life as a wife and mother as sterile, generic, lifeless, or in a box, I can assure you it is full of sacrifices. All relationships are and should be. Otherwise, it would be completely selfish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurie, just found your blog and really enjoy your writing. Interesting perspective...
    It's been so long- glad to "see" you on here. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it has been awhile since I have read your blog and this is the perfect post to read. As we adjust to life here in LA, following my husband to the dreaded Hollywood, and balancing all these things you talk about. And there are days when it is hard and yet you look into the face of that little being you helped to bring into the world and it never feels wrong. And you too will find all of that. A nest in your home, a sense of pride in your work, and being a former Jeep owner - a comfortably quiet drive! And yes, we are getting old, but those are all still good things. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts