paint saga

The saga for choosing paint for the interior walls of our house continues. Since moving into our house 5 months ago, I've collected at least 40 color swatches, painted various streaks and blobs on random walls to test out the colors, and put at least 1 coat of paint on the walls of our kitchen, dining room, bedroom, and hall (which has 8 doorways, by the way).

I've had the most drama in the living room which is currently wearing its second color on most of the walls and its third color on the "accent wall." In other words, I've changed my mind about the colors after having painted the entire room several times.

Not wanting to repeat the same mistakes I made it choosing colors for the living room, I'm moving much more slowly and thoughtfully as I choose colors for other rooms in the house. You know, I always thought I was a incredibly low-maintainence person, but I also always knew I had strong opinions and perfectionistic tendencies. Not sure how I managed to make opinionated and perfectionistic fit into low-maintainence, but that's what I believed about myself for a long time. But not anymore. High-maintainence-ness can take many forms, and 1 of them for me is paint.

So without further ado, Behold, the current color scheme for the house: Sweet Annie, Pony Tail, Weeping Willow, Rum Raisin, and Lion's Mane...

The actual color tones aren't totally accurate in this picture (e.g., greens are much greener, the cream not at all grey like it seems here, and the orange is more mellow), but you get the general idea. I'm sure it will be a couple more months before all the walls are painted and I'm fully satisfied. And there's always a chance I'll completely re-work this color scheme later but hopefully that will happen before I paint entire rooms and not after.

p.s. Baine just informed me that he thinks "lion's mane" (the orange-ish color on the right) looks like chicken crap. So, the plot thickens. One day our house will be fully painted and enlightenment will be achieved solely through the perfect balance of its colors.

Comments

Popular Posts