sarcastic gratitude?
Laurie: So I think I've decided I'm going to start "practicing gratitude."
Baine: Ok... What does that mean?
Laurie: Well, I watched this video and have read some stuff, and there are several things that classify as "practicing gratitude." Like writing down 3 things every day that you're grateful for.
Baine: Ok. I know about that.
Laurie: Supposedly, I'll be 25% happier if I write down 3 things that I'm grateful for every day. But I'm really skeptical about the whole thing. And it feels really annoying & artificial to "count my blessings." So I'll probably just try to write 2 every day. Then maybe I'll be like 18% percent happier instead of 25. I'd be good with 18.
Baine: Maybe on the 1st day, you can write that you're grateful that 1) you only have to write 2 things, and 2) you're going to be 18% happier after doing this.
Laurie: Ha. Ha. That's perfect! I'm totally going to do that.
Baine: Yeah, but I don't think it works if you're cynical or sarcastic about your gratitude.
Laurie: What? That's lame. We'll see.
p.s. Here's the gratitude video if you're interested.
Baine: Ok... What does that mean?
Laurie: Well, I watched this video and have read some stuff, and there are several things that classify as "practicing gratitude." Like writing down 3 things every day that you're grateful for.
Baine: Ok. I know about that.
Laurie: Supposedly, I'll be 25% happier if I write down 3 things that I'm grateful for every day. But I'm really skeptical about the whole thing. And it feels really annoying & artificial to "count my blessings." So I'll probably just try to write 2 every day. Then maybe I'll be like 18% percent happier instead of 25. I'd be good with 18.
Baine: Maybe on the 1st day, you can write that you're grateful that 1) you only have to write 2 things, and 2) you're going to be 18% happier after doing this.
Laurie: Ha. Ha. That's perfect! I'm totally going to do that.
Baine: Yeah, but I don't think it works if you're cynical or sarcastic about your gratitude.
Laurie: What? That's lame. We'll see.
p.s. Here's the gratitude video if you're interested.
love it.
ReplyDelete