to joanna -

There were
squeals and hugs,
a million oh-my-gosh's,
late night runs to TCBY,
and eating competitions at Outback Steakhouse
to feed our baller, high school bodies.
There were
dreams of Paris and love
as we watched Sabrina over and over,
sarcastic yet secretly serious harmonies
of Just as I Am & It is Well
between passionate
blurts of Dixie Chicks -
our declaration of freedom and power and hope
in the midst of perpetual teenage uncertainty and fear.

We were young,
and our connection was deep.

You were there
in the pain as much as the joy -
when all I wanted was to go to college & be free,
when I occupied way too much space in our relationship,
and in the moments that are far too deep & sacred to share here.

You know these moments as well as I do.

You were with me as
my fierce defender and quiet comfort
when my heart was broken -
by the boy that you would eventually marry
and whose wedding I would stand as maid of honor.
It truly was an honor
to stand beside the woman
who had always given me such
kindness, laughter,
openness & love without condition.
What a miraculous gift we had in each other
at that time.
I don't know if I will ever fully comprehend
the grace and kindness that flowed between us then.
This was supposed to be the time
that everything fell apart.
But instead,
it became the glue
that made our friendship
unbreakable.

Now you are a gorgeous woman -
a wife & mother of four,
an artist & a teacher.
You are changed
and yet
the same.
Your squeal is just as high
and your openness just as deep
as it has always been.
You came with your sweet, monstrous baby
to see me
and take in my strange world
with the same openness and kindness
of your youth.
I have missed you, friend.
And regardless of what the future holds,
I'm forever grateful
for who you have been
& continue to be in my life.

love,
laurie



Comments

  1. oh laurie!!! WOW. thank you. what a priceless piece i will treasure forever. so well said and you know i feel the same. what we have is rare and crazy and beautiful. ahh! i LOVE IT!!!!
    love you my friend.
    jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. I'm so glad you posted it. I love you both SO much.

    And I'm not jealous at all about Jo's trip. Not at all. Nope.. no jealousy here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, Liz. Looks like you're just gonna have to fly up here sometime too. Maybe you could give birth up here, so I could be your doula. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts