nesting project mini-series: colorful organizing

Those of you who have known me very long in real life (i.e., the crazy realm of existence that actually takes place offline) know that I'm not the neatest or cleanest person. This messy part of me encompasses various habits that go deep into childhood. The most common of these habits is regularly accumulating various piles of things. Baine calls them my sh** piles. Sometimes these words are said in good humor and sometimes in sheer exasperation from co-habitation with my piles.

There is actually a distinct order to my piles. Clothes piles, book piles, paper piles, even dirty dish piles. Oh, and of course there are probably more knitting & yarn piles than any others. There is much order to this chaos - despite how indiscernible that order might be to the outside world. And it does not bode well with me if that chaotic order is disrupted. This usually happens when Baine throws one of my piles onto another in a desperate search for some space. The subsequent exchange of words between us are the making of a top-selling "how to have a happy marriage" book.

I digress... Just because I accumulate piles of crap, and just because there is some order to the piles doesn't mean this is my preferred way of living. There usually comes a time (once or twice a month) when I hit my breaking point and decide to sort through, purge, clean, and organize my piles. Brief Disclaimer: I don't hoard things. If anything, I have the opposite problem where I often get rid of too many things when I hit my breaking point.

The reason I'm telling this to you today is so you can fully appreciate what I've done. I've recently discovered that this purging & organizing process is much more compelling if I, not only organize my stuff, but turn it into something inspiring & pleasant to look at. Here's a quick peek at a couple of these projects...

Rustic Ladder turned Bookshelf



 Antique Wood Crate & Antique Suitcase (belonged to my grandmother) turned Yarn Storage




Many more organizing projects are on deck - including stacking more wooden boxes for yarn storage. I do have a lot of piles. Hopefully Baine & I will both live more peacefully as a result of this pleasing, colorful order. What about you? Do you have any piles? Or live with someone who does? :)

Comments

Popular Posts