and so it begins
Money can't buy happiness. But it can buy a spinning wheel and wool. And I can tell you with certainty that a spinning wheel and wool evoke a happiness that skips, giggles, and hums with delight.
After attending my first spinning class this winter (Thank you family who gifted that to me!), I instantly knew I would become a spinner. That is not to say that I picked up the craft easily. In fact, I was all thumbs and easily the most awkward student in class at first. There was only one guy in the class, and he was sitting next to me. He, like most other students, was getting the hang of it after a few minutes of fumbling around. I, however, was still fumbling around. But in the midst of my fumbling, there would periodically be a moment where it would work. I would spin properly for just a short second, and I would literally squeal with delight, look at the guy next to me, and say, "Oh my gosh, I did it! It's working! It's like MAGIC!" He would smile and nod politely, but I'm sure he thought I was crazy - especially since my "yarn" was more like a wirey ball of knots than anything else. But I loved it. And it wasn't long after that I found the rhythm of spinning that relaxed the deepest parts of my soul.This newfound love came at a cost though - literally. Spinning wheels cost a butt load of money. So I've been waiting. I knew which wheel I wanted, and I knew we'd probably have the money in the summer. But not until summer. Until... I went to my favorite yarn/fiber arts shop for a sale today. And the exact wheel that I was planning to buy this summer was $200 off the regular price. And so I looked at Baine with earnest desire, and the scraping for money began.
That weekend getaway we were planning later this money? Cancelled. This month's spending allowance for me? All toward the spinning wheel. Maybe we have little money we can 'borrow' from savings until we get that bonus we're expecting this summer? Barely, but yes. And maaaybe Baine will throw in an extra $20 from his own spending allowance? Yes, because he's the best husband in the world who knows that, while money can't buy happiness, this spinning wheel certainly can.
Natural Un-dyed Jacob's Wool
And so it begins. I completely suck at it and am the beginning-est of all beginners. But I'm now officially a spinner. And I'm very very excited about that.
LOVE IT~BABY DOLL! I KNOW THE FEELING. I'D BE HAPPY JUST LOOKING AT THIS WHEEL! BUT THIS IS A PROVERBS 31 THING! ENJOY!
ReplyDelete