beyond the bear
I do occasionally have thoughts and feelings that exist outside the realm of the little bear's world. Shocking, I know. The older she gets, the more I feel myself moving from constant to partial maternal preoccupation (STRONG primal focus on keeping the baby alive and well). Of course, my view of the world is now and will forever include a maternal lens. But much to your surprise, I'm sure, other people and things do exist outside my baby and our little family.
On that note, I wanted to share a poem to which I've returned several times lately. It's a meditation of sorts - a path toward quiet. Even in the moments when my body is quiet, my mind rarely is so. It takes courage, practice, and intention to truly quiet the mind. For me, it looks something like this.
I go among trees and sit still.
All my stirring becomes quiet
around me like circles on water.
My tasks lie in their places
where I left them, asleep like cattle.
Then what is afraid of me comes
and lives a while in my sight.
What it fears in me leaves me,
and the fear of me leaves it.
It sings, and I hear its song.
Then what I am afraid of comes.
I live for a while in its sight.
What I fear in it leaves it,
and the fear of it leaves me.
It sings, and I hear its song.
After days of labor,
mute in my consternations,
I hear my song at last,
and I sing it. As we sing,
the day turns, the trees move.
-by Wendell Berry
I dare you to allow the quiet for a few moments today. Let your tasks lie in their places, asleep like cattle. Let the fear come, and then let it pass until at last, you hear your good and beautiful song.
On that note, I wanted to share a poem to which I've returned several times lately. It's a meditation of sorts - a path toward quiet. Even in the moments when my body is quiet, my mind rarely is so. It takes courage, practice, and intention to truly quiet the mind. For me, it looks something like this.
I go among trees and sit still.
All my stirring becomes quiet
around me like circles on water.
My tasks lie in their places
where I left them, asleep like cattle.
Then what is afraid of me comes
and lives a while in my sight.
What it fears in me leaves me,
and the fear of me leaves it.
It sings, and I hear its song.
Then what I am afraid of comes.
I live for a while in its sight.
What I fear in it leaves it,
and the fear of it leaves me.
It sings, and I hear its song.
After days of labor,
mute in my consternations,
I hear my song at last,
and I sing it. As we sing,
the day turns, the trees move.
-by Wendell Berry
I dare you to allow the quiet for a few moments today. Let your tasks lie in their places, asleep like cattle. Let the fear come, and then let it pass until at last, you hear your good and beautiful song.
Comments
Post a Comment