just so you know... it sucks too

I know I write often about motherhood bliss. And I don't exaggerate. Motherhood is truly bliss for me. But that doesn't mean it's always blissful. For example:

* I didn't sleep more than three consecutive hours for a solid year. Not once.

* I am always tired. Always.

* My body hurts in ways I never knew it could. The physicality of mothering a baby/toddler is no joke.

* Baine & I have only been on three dates in an entire year. Obviously, we had a choice in this, and we're on a mission to have a real date life now. Regardless, baby = definite obstacle to dates.

* Naomi spit up (a lot) directly on my face and hair when she woke at 6am the other day.

* Let me re-iterate that last part. Baby Bear wakes at 6am every day. 6am. I HATE 6am.

* Almost every time I use the bathroom, the baby is in my lap or playing at my feet. This was particularly fun when I had a stomach bug a couple of weeks ago. Have you ever had a baby cry emphatically to nurse while you're sick on the toilet? Did you then nurse her and bounce her to sleep in your tired arms while your face turned various shades of green and stomach wrenched? Misery.

* It took me two hours to wash 6 dishes the other day. This is not uncommon. More than half my day is spent holding, feeding, pottying, playing with, or cleaning up after Naomi. By the time she is asleep for a nap or the night, I'm too tired to do anything - much less clean. Again, I'm always tired.

* I'm an introvert. It's very hard to spend almost all of my time with anyone - even my beloved baby girl. I crave solitude at least once a day.

As you probably know, this list could go on and on. Parenting sucks a lot sometimes. I don't feel a need to lament that too much at the moment. I just want these realities to be out there - as a source of grounding the bliss. The bliss is there to help us endure the parts that are truly awful. So there it is. Parenting can be blissful, and it sucks a lot too.

Comments

Popular Posts