my-yeethya

Some moments along the way in Naomi's language development:

Story 1
We bought a bottle of champagne to celebrate the New Year last month. As I was opening it, Naomi kept saying she wanted to pour it on her head. I told her it was for drinking but couldn't figure out why she wanted to put it on her head. Finally, she said something about "washing", and I realized she didn't know the difference between champagne and shampoo.

Story 2
I talk openly with Naomi about most things - including all of her body parts. With an increased interest in potty time, we talk a lot about her bladder and urethra. The other day, I went to the bathroom, and she, of course, came with me. She watched and exclaimed, "Mama has my-yeethya!" It took a minute to discern her exact meaning, but I quickly figured it out. She was simply saying that I have a urethra ("yeethya") too. But she confuses her pronouns and often switches "my" and "your". All this time, she thinks I've been saying "your rethra", not "urethra". Switch the pronoun and you get "my yeethya." Oh, this baby.

My brother used to say "double me" in place of the letter "w" when he was little. Apparently, this is a thing - a very funny thing. The baby brain is amazing.

Comments

Popular Posts