magic and rainbows

The following is a true story, inspired by real events, and written by Naomi Bear.

One magical night at Uncle Bo and Auntie Am's house in Texas, we immersed our bodies in water, light, and rainbows. Mumsy, Mama, and Papa were there too. First, Uncle Bo took me outside to play with some neighbors. That was a lot of fun, and I felt sad when Mama said we needed to go in. She said we were being "eaten alive by mosquitoes." I don't really know what mosquitoes are, but they don't sound like very nice creatures. So I said ok.

Right before we walked into the house, Uncle Bo stopped us and said, "Naomi, do you want to play in the sprinklers before you go in?!" I didn't really know what sprinklers were either, but the look on Uncle Bo's face made me want to find out. Mama, Papa, Auntie Am, and Mumsy all got really excited, so I got excited and followed them to the sprinklers.

I held Mama's hand and waited a minute. The next thing I knew, there were drops of cold water flying everywhere through the air, splashing against my body and in my eyes. I wasn't sure I liked it, and I squeezed Mama's hand harder. She squealed, and ran with me to the sidewalk away from the water. When she asked if I wanted to run and play in the sprinklers, I said "no." Then Mumsy asked if I wanted to run through them with her, and I said "no." But then everyone got excited again, so I thought I'd give it a try. It was a little scary at first, but it was also so much fun! The next thing I knew, I was running and running with Mumsy on one side and Uncle Bo on the other - all of us smiling, squealing, and getting soaking wet. I didn't feel scared at all any more, just happy and excited.

Soon, Mumsy and Uncle Bo wanted to take a break. So Mama asked if I wanted to run through the sprinklers by myself. All of the sudden, I felt a little scared again. But Mama and Papa and everyone started to get excited, telling me I could do it. I felt brave, so I decided to try it. And it was amazing!!! I ran and giggled and gasped as the water splashed me from every direction. The grass felt soft under my feet, and I loved the cool puddles that squished between my toes.
Mama and Baby Starling ran through the sprinklers with me too, and it was so much fun. 
 Sometimes Mama and I walk alike. We're both pretty awesome. ;)
I asked Mama if I could take pictures of her...
and she said ok! I think I got some good ones.

Then, I went back to more running and playing and squealing through the sprinklers. I felt so happy and didn't want the night to end.

Every now and then, I paused to catch my breath. When I did this, I saw rainbows, water, and sunlight everywhere. It was one of the most magical things I've ever seen. Mama said we can see rainbows when water and sunlight touch in just the right way. I think this is what what happens when our family touches each other too. We make rainbows and magic together, and that is the best feeling of all.


Comments

Popular Posts