35+ Weeks

We're already in the home stretch of my pregnancy with Baby Starling. I say "already" because we're experiencing the classic no-time-for-anything-ness of preparing for a second baby - in contrast to the luxurious space we had to prepare for Naomi's arrival. Alas, I am already learning what it might require of me to parent two little beings - more flexibility, efficiency, boundaries, and an ability to slow down no matter how many other tasks there are at hand. This is going to be an interesting challenging transition for a woman who thrives on quiet space and solitude. And I can't think of any cause in the world for which I'd rather grow those muscles within myself. Grow, I must, literally and metaphorically as you can see from the most recent belly pics taken yesterday (35+ weeks along).
Oh, and Naomi's baby is growing quite nicely in her belly too - as you can see in this picture. She was talking about her baby one day, then got really quiet, looked at me with the sweetest, genuine eyes, and said, "Real, Mama?" Translation: "Do I have a real baby in my tummy, Mama?" I assured her that her baby was pretend and that she could have her own baby when she gets older if she wants. She was very satisfied with that answer and went on pretending that she has a real baby in her tummy.



Meanwhile, Starling is giving Naomi Bear a run for her money in the fetal movement department. S/he is sooooo strong and active. With Naomi, I felt more focused, isolated kicks and squirms, but this little bird is quite fond of strong, full body movements. It feels like s/he's perfecting her best break dancing "snake" moves, which is very amusing. It's also shocking sometimes and can take my breath away. And it's the most glorious feeling in the world. My favorite thing is when I go to bed at night, feeling Starling wiggle around, and reaching over to hold Naomi's soft, sweet, sleepy hand. Heavenly moments for a mama who thought for a long time she may never be able to have babies. I'm sad this pregnancy will come to an end soon. I'm slowing down in the these final weeks and taking as much of it in as I can.

Comments

Popular Posts