snow
A Christmas story from the voice of Naomi Bear:
The day began with snow. Mama and Jethro were already awake, and Mama had built a fire. Papa carried me from our warm, dark bedroom into the light of our living room as he does every morning. The first thing I saw was snow - the familiar world that I know and see out our window every morning but completely new and different and bright. I ran straight to the window on this Christmas morning and exclaimed "Snow!" I pressed my nose against the cold glass that barely separated me from the sparkly, white, crunchy magic that was soon to unfold.
But first, we had a morning of fun Christmas traditions that are all new and exciting to me. I loved opening and giving presents - including some from Santa. Or are they from Jack Frost? Or King Winter? I'm a little confused about which magical, winter person does what at this point. No worries though. I'll figure it out soon enough. All I knew on this Christmas morning was that presents were fun, and I was ready to go play in the snow.
Soon enough, we bundled in all the woollies and goose-down and gortex we own (Mama "doesn't like her babies to be cold") and ventured out into the long-awaited snow. The first thing I did was grab a big stick from our wood shed and got straight to work in the snow. You may not know this about me since I'm only two, but I have some serious work to do every day - including all manner of digging, shoveling, poking, scraping, crunching, and a million other things one can do with a big stick in the snow. It's serious work, and I have big muscles, and I got pretty good at it after a little practice.
Soon we found a little hill, and Papa had the idea of sledding. I've never gone sledding before, and it sounded so fun. Papa ran home to get a few things that might work for a sled while Mama, Jethro, and I waited in the snow. I started to feel tired and ready for a nap while we waited, so I quietly rested with my stick, made hand prints in the snow, and let the light of the snowy trees calm and quiet me to the core. Mama told me this was a moment of peace. I don't really know that word yet, but I know what it feels like. This was it, and I really liked it.
Soon, Papa came with a bucket and a lid to a storage container. We tried sledding in both. Neither one went very fast, but I didn't mind since it was my first time sledding. It was all so new and exciting.
The best part of all came at the end when Papa pulled me home on our "sled."
He went really fast when I asked him and slow when I felt scared. He put my mittens on me when my hands felt too cold and snuggled me when I cried from the snow that got in my eyes. When my eyes kept hurting, Mama touched my face in just the right way to help me feel calm again. Mostly though, I was tired and ready to go home after such a big, fun morning. So I held on tightly to the sled, stared at the snow that crunched and sparkled all around me, and listened to Mama talk about feeling peace and happiness.
The day began with snow. Mama and Jethro were already awake, and Mama had built a fire. Papa carried me from our warm, dark bedroom into the light of our living room as he does every morning. The first thing I saw was snow - the familiar world that I know and see out our window every morning but completely new and different and bright. I ran straight to the window on this Christmas morning and exclaimed "Snow!" I pressed my nose against the cold glass that barely separated me from the sparkly, white, crunchy magic that was soon to unfold.
But first, we had a morning of fun Christmas traditions that are all new and exciting to me. I loved opening and giving presents - including some from Santa. Or are they from Jack Frost? Or King Winter? I'm a little confused about which magical, winter person does what at this point. No worries though. I'll figure it out soon enough. All I knew on this Christmas morning was that presents were fun, and I was ready to go play in the snow.
Soon enough, we bundled in all the woollies and goose-down and gortex we own (Mama "doesn't like her babies to be cold") and ventured out into the long-awaited snow. The first thing I did was grab a big stick from our wood shed and got straight to work in the snow. You may not know this about me since I'm only two, but I have some serious work to do every day - including all manner of digging, shoveling, poking, scraping, crunching, and a million other things one can do with a big stick in the snow. It's serious work, and I have big muscles, and I got pretty good at it after a little practice.
Next, we decided to go for a family walk, and I brought my big stick with me.
Mama and Baby Jethro snuggled as we passed through a tunnel of snow and ice. We all watched with wide eyes at the light that poured into this quiet, magical space.
Then we passed through the blackberry patch where we harvested juicy, sweet berries just a few months ago. It looked so different and wonderful covered in snow. There are bunnies and (pretend) bees that live along the path, and I was relieved to see the bees had "ducked down low" so the snow didn't squish them.
Soon we found a little hill, and Papa had the idea of sledding. I've never gone sledding before, and it sounded so fun. Papa ran home to get a few things that might work for a sled while Mama, Jethro, and I waited in the snow. I started to feel tired and ready for a nap while we waited, so I quietly rested with my stick, made hand prints in the snow, and let the light of the snowy trees calm and quiet me to the core. Mama told me this was a moment of peace. I don't really know that word yet, but I know what it feels like. This was it, and I really liked it.
Soon, Papa came with a bucket and a lid to a storage container. We tried sledding in both. Neither one went very fast, but I didn't mind since it was my first time sledding. It was all so new and exciting.
The best part of all came at the end when Papa pulled me home on our "sled."
He went really fast when I asked him and slow when I felt scared. He put my mittens on me when my hands felt too cold and snuggled me when I cried from the snow that got in my eyes. When my eyes kept hurting, Mama touched my face in just the right way to help me feel calm again. Mostly though, I was tired and ready to go home after such a big, fun morning. So I held on tightly to the sled, stared at the snow that crunched and sparkled all around me, and listened to Mama talk about feeling peace and happiness.
When we got home, we snuggled by the fire, read stories together, and ate chocolate pudding pie. After my nap, Papa played with me in the snow until it was dark, and Mama and I spent the next day building and decorating snow castles in our yard. They were magical days that I will remember for a long time.
Comments
Post a Comment