backyard mountain
As tempting as it is, I will try not to inundate you with more sentiments about the wonders of Montana. I will simply say that we walked (not drove) out our Missoula backdoor yesterday, walked a few blocks, and found ourselves on this glorious "urban" hike. Ahhhhhh...
Naomi hiked like a champ. And Jethro literally hiked halfway up the mountain on his own before melting down from pure exhaustion. He was not happy when I put in the ergo, but his little baby legs just wouldn't take him any further. Both kids are such good hikers already!
At this point, they both get bored when the path is wide and flat. Naomi much prefers hikes that are steep or have obstacles like rocks and roots. And Jethro will find the one rock in a clear path to climb on top and then over. He did this straight up the mountain yesterday, climbing on top of rock after rock and panting like a puppy from the exertion. Hilarious little baby. Must perfect balance, climbing, and conquering all rocks!
It was a quiet, joyful discovery for her - taking in the elements in every possible way. Children have an innate ability to do this, and sadly, most grown-ups have lost or forgotten how to do it. I'm determined to help her keep this sweet, sensory interaction with nature in tact as long as possible. She's fully present, curious, and free to experience pleasure in the wonders of all that God made. What a gift! And what a joyful day on our backyard mountain.
At this point, they both get bored when the path is wide and flat. Naomi much prefers hikes that are steep or have obstacles like rocks and roots. And Jethro will find the one rock in a clear path to climb on top and then over. He did this straight up the mountain yesterday, climbing on top of rock after rock and panting like a puppy from the exertion. Hilarious little baby. Must perfect balance, climbing, and conquering all rocks!
I caught the following sequence by chance and didn't realize what Naomi was doing until I started taking pictures. I just saw her engrossed in something, so I started documenting. She was grazing her hands over some sort of wheat-grass as she walked, pulling the seeds off the ends, rubbing them vigorously in her hands, and then massaging it all over her face.
It was a quiet, joyful discovery for her - taking in the elements in every possible way. Children have an innate ability to do this, and sadly, most grown-ups have lost or forgotten how to do it. I'm determined to help her keep this sweet, sensory interaction with nature in tact as long as possible. She's fully present, curious, and free to experience pleasure in the wonders of all that God made. What a gift! And what a joyful day on our backyard mountain.
Comments
Post a Comment