simple pleasures
Despite Baine's recent loss of all spiritual gifts & my season of grief, you can probably imagine that our home is just giddy with holiday cheer. Ok, that's a stretch. Well, it's just not true at all. Nevertheless, we have kept our senses of humor, & we are somehow managing to enjoy some very simple, lovely things thus far this holiday season. These five are at the top of my list.
1. Fetching wood from the shed & building fires every day to heat the house. I tell you about this often, and that's because it's one of the most therapeutic rituals in my life. I will write a full post about it sometime, so I can tell you what I mean exactly.
2. Baking cookies - not that I need a holiday for that. Our "Christmas cookie" is a yummy Almond Cookie that melts in your mouth. It doesn't actually have almonds. (I do NOT like nuts in my cookies.) It's just like a sugar cookie but with almond extract for a delicious burst of flavor.
3. Making the best peppermint bark I’ve ever put in my mouth - thanks primarily to the ganache chocolate center. Seriously, I moan involuntarily when I eat this.
4. Playing games - namely Forbidden Island. It's a group effort of us vs. the game. It's epic & wonderful. Except when we lose. When that happens, it's a really stupid game that I didn't want to play anyway.
5. And last but not least... Making felted Christmas ornaments. Even though I ran out of steam & didn’t make all that I had planned to make, I’m in love with the ornaments & this new-to-me craft (needle felting). I’ve become enthralled in the world of magical fantasy in reason years – fairies, gnomes, dragonflies, mushrooms, etc. So that’s the direction I took with the ornaments, & I’ll hopefully be able to make more next year to complete this set. Here's a glimpse at what I made this year -
As I reflect on many things this holiday season, I'm thankful for each of you readers - known & unknown in this crazy blogosphere. Thank you for hearing my words graciously. Whether you are making felted fairies, playing silly reindeer games, feeling lonely, sad, or deeply happy, I pray that you will be surrounded by Love, Light, & Laughter this holiday season.
1. Fetching wood from the shed & building fires every day to heat the house. I tell you about this often, and that's because it's one of the most therapeutic rituals in my life. I will write a full post about it sometime, so I can tell you what I mean exactly.
2. Baking cookies - not that I need a holiday for that. Our "Christmas cookie" is a yummy Almond Cookie that melts in your mouth. It doesn't actually have almonds. (I do NOT like nuts in my cookies.) It's just like a sugar cookie but with almond extract for a delicious burst of flavor.
3. Making the best peppermint bark I’ve ever put in my mouth - thanks primarily to the ganache chocolate center. Seriously, I moan involuntarily when I eat this.
4. Playing games - namely Forbidden Island. It's a group effort of us vs. the game. It's epic & wonderful. Except when we lose. When that happens, it's a really stupid game that I didn't want to play anyway.
5. And last but not least... Making felted Christmas ornaments. Even though I ran out of steam & didn’t make all that I had planned to make, I’m in love with the ornaments & this new-to-me craft (needle felting). I’ve become enthralled in the world of magical fantasy in reason years – fairies, gnomes, dragonflies, mushrooms, etc. So that’s the direction I took with the ornaments, & I’ll hopefully be able to make more next year to complete this set. Here's a glimpse at what I made this year -
Comments
Post a Comment